Bacon Cheddar Scones
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven
Sweet or savory brunch? Now you don’t have to decide. Easy, homemade savory scones pair perfectly with a tall glass of Florida’s Natural Orange Juice.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (or white whole-wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- 10 tablespoons cold butter, diced into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- For optional egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Pair with one 8 oz. glass of not-from-concentrate Florida’s Natural Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne until combined.
- Add the diced butter to the flour mixture and use a fork (or your hands) to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles thick, coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese, chives and bacon until combined. Pour in the buttermilk, and knead the mixture with your hands until the dough is evenly combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and use a rolling pin to roll it out until it is ½ inch thick. Fold the dough in half horizontally, and then fold it in half again vertically (so that there are four layers in there). Roll the dough out again and roll until it is about ½ inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the scones (rerolling the dough when necessary) and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Optional: In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg and water until combined, brush the egg wash on top of the scones, so that the tops will be nice and golden.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the scones are cooked through.
- Serve warm, with a glass of Florida’s Natural Orange Juice.