Breakfast Tacos al Pastor
Recipe from Half Baked Harvest
It’s a fact: Tacos for breakfast will help you get out of bed a little faster. And Florida’s Natural Orange Juice is the key to making the sweet-and-spicy sauce that gives these al pastor tacos a kick.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or pork
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- ½ cup not-from-concentrate Florida’s Natural Orange Juice
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6-8 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 4-6 fried eggs
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Feta or cheddar cheese, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the ground chicken and onion. Cook, stirring often and breaking up the meat as it cooks, until the chicken is browned, about five minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, paprika, salt, chipotle peppers, Florida’s Natural Orange Juice, ¼ cup water, and 1 cup pineapple. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly around the chicken, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the remaining cup pineapple, basil, jalapeño, lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- To serve, divide the fried eggs among the tortillas and top with the chicken. Add the pineapple-basil salsa, avocado and cheese. EAT!