Spiced Orange and Carrot whole-wheat Muffins
Recipe from Table for Two
Get ready for the day with one (or two) of these whole-grain brunch muffins.
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (you may use dark brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup not-from-concentrate Florida's Natural Orange Juice, any variety
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Zest of 1 large orange, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners and spray with coconut oil cooking spray or your preferred cooking spray. This is a must, otherwise, the muffins will stick to the muffin liner. Set aside and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, oats, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- In a large measuring cup, add orange juice, almond milk, orange zest, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk to incorporate.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the coconut oil into the center and gently incorporate until mixture is slightly wet; it doesn't all have to be combined.
- Pour the measuring cup of liquid ingredients into the batter then using a spatula, mix and fold until everything is incorporated.
- Add the grated carrots and fold into mixture.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, fill lined muffin cups with batter. I tend to fill right up to the top, more than 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.