whole-wheat Chocolate Orange Scones
Recipe from Eat Good 4 Life
With a little bit of Florida’s Natural and a little bit of chopped dark chocolate, you’ve got yourself a sweet and wholesome scone for a very special brunch.
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 oz dark chocolate bar, chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup not-from-concentrate Florida's Natural orange juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a cookie baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and orange zest in a small mixing bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal or breadcrumbs.
- Add orange juice, heavy cream and chopped dark chocolate. With a spatula, incorporate into the dry ingredients until a consistent dough is formed. In between plastic wrap or parchment paper, roll out dough into a 1-inch thick shape. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Brush each scone with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Place scones onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown.