Orange Bread Pudding with Almonds
Leave the Popsicles in the freezer and treat your family to a warm homemade dessert. This orange bread pudding reminds us of winter nights in the groves.
Bread Pudding Ingredients
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 & 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 & 1/4 cups Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 2-day-old 8-ounce French baguettes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (12 cups)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Orange Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 4 cups Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- Preheat oven to 350º F. In a very large bowl, combine 1 & 1/2 cups sugar and the cinnamon. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and 1 & 1/4 cups whipping cream; whisk into sugar mixture. Stir in 1 & 1/4 cups orange juice and the orange peel. Add bread cubes; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in almonds and chocolate.
- Transfer bread mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more, or until knife inserted into an off-center portion (with no chocolate) comes out clean. Let stand for 30 to 45 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, combine 4 cups orange juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until reduced to 1 cup (about 30 minutes), stirring and scraping the sides of the pan occasionally. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in butter. Serve warm bread pudding with warm sauce.