Punjab Spiced Shrimp
We love this spicy recipe from North India. Come to think of it, so does our Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice.
- 1 pound large shrimp (24 count)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Oriental sesame oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice
- Leaving the tail attached, devein and peel the shrimp. Rinse and pat dry. Place in a tight freezer storage bag.
- Mix vinegar, cayenne, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt until they have formed a smooth paste. Add to shrimp. Working through the bag, mix the spice mixture with the shrimp, coating them completely. Set aside to marinate while cooking onions.
- Cut onions into thin slices.
- Heat the oils together in a large skillet or wok. When hot, add onions and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook over high heat until most of the juice has evaporated. (If you prefer a more saucy dish, use a full cup of juice. You can start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed.)
- Add the shrimp and cook until they turn opaque, about 3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Serve over a bed of white rice or cooked leaf spinach.