Orange Nut Bread
Submitted by Steffen Bentley, Citrus Marketing Services, Inc.
For the holidays, this simple recipe makes a very thoughtful, homemade gift. Bake it for teachers, neighbors, coworkers or anyone who made your year a little brighter.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Melt butter or margarine in boiling water in a medium bowl.
- Add orange juice, grated rind, sugar, and vanilla to butter and water.
- Add slightly beaten egg.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Sift dry ingredients over orange mixture, add nuts and stir until moist (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour into a greased and floured 4x8-inch loaf pan and bake at 350° F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wine rack.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store.
- Slices best on second day.