Fresh, Handpicked recipes
Submitted by Darleene Lincer, Winter Haven Citrus Growers Association
When we’re in the mood for a tasty side dish with lots of fiber, we reach for our skillets and Florida’s Natural® Orange Juice. Careful—it could steal the spotlight from your entrée.
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 4 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Florida's Natural® Orange Juice
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 small orange, peeled and sectioned
- In a skillet, sauté the carrots and onion in butter until just tender.
- Stir in the broth, orange juice, orange rind, salt and barley; cover, reduce heat to low and cook until barley is tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Spoon into a serving dish and top with orange sections.